Tuesday 5 June 2007

Goodbyes and hello´s

After much drinking, hugging, kissing and tears I finally find myself in Rio.
The Gill clan came out in full force to ensure I was a blubbering wreak before I got past UK customs (Although one suspects they where just making sure I left).
Laden with good luck charms and a watch James Bond would be proud of, although I still can only tell the time on it :)
Leaving my one and only jacket with them and having to surrender my penknife (speed packing Stacie style resulted with it in my hand luggage), a mere 15 hours latter I´m rocking up to my digs - being my 1st hostel experience I wasn't disappointed with the skankyness, although some of the guys there have commented on how great it is, cant wait to try out one of the bad ones!
So what does one do with no sleep after an over night flight crossing 4 time zones? Hit the beach of course, brought my first pair of ´harvainans´or flip flops to us, I trekked down to Copacabana Beach (pictures do not do it justice, and its all the sweeter knowing I´m doing this on work days),
I have parked my fair skinned behind there for the past 2 days, with a group of kids who have just ´done´ South America. Odd to see them coming to an end when I´m just getting started.
As good as the beach is the vendors come every 30 seconds trying to sell you something and steel your shit, we had one bag be ransacked for 4 reals (about 1 pound) while we where there, no wonder you see guys just rocking up in trucks and a smile (the older they are the smaller their shorts, its disturbing)
Have decided since I cant be arsed with doing anything to taxing, I´m gonna be chilling around town for this week before I figure where I´m headed next.

The good, bad and ugly - Sitting on a beach on a Monday, goodbyes, 80 year olds running along with beach with tiny shorts Pamela Anderson style.

Ta ta for now boys and girls

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're doing the usual, jack all! Why should that change just because you are 'travelling'? Hope you're having fun and loving the digs (you're new nickname can be Itchy or Scratchy, you can decide) speak soon, love ya!
Natasha

Anonymous said...

Who needs Rio? I have Southend. Old men wearing tight trunks people trying to steel your stuff, just the same!!! but it cost me a lot less to get there... Glad to hear your having a good time. Soooo enivious. Keep safe. love Denise & Co xxx

Stacie said...

Itchy or scratchy - like either is any less negative!
Much better than my usual nicknames anywho.

Den - you´ve sold me on southend, dont know why I ever left!
Look after the bambino

Laters
xx