Friday 15 June 2007

Bye, bye Brazil...

After my time in Rio I decided to head North for a few days, two hours in a plane I´m in Salvador, nice little town that the Afro-Brazilian hub on the country.
The Guild book states if you´re going to get mugged its going to be here, woman will get loads of hassle and during carnivals and the like if you walk out the with a skirt on then you will have a hand up it in no time.... after reading the latter it sold me on Salvador and I made sure I had clean knickers and headed on out ;)
I arranged to stay in a hostel in the Barra area which is on the southern part of the coastal town (and doesn't have such a high crime rate, i.e. they prob. wont use a gun, only knives). Nice beaches, blah, blah blah, but the happening part of town when the lights go out is the Northern or Historic half- Pelo has loads of bars and such also has some awesome Churches, shops and houses and I can say even the graffiti is of a good standard.
(will post some pictures on facebook as soon as I get to a pc that has English set up instructions)
lots of dudes hassling you to buy stuff, begging or looking to rob you whenever you got your camera out.... so sort of like home.
So being the good girl I am (Or seeing as I was in tiny Hostel during low season and had no one to play with that could speak English) I did not stay out till the wee hours downing Sugar Cane Rum from coconuts, I just went out and had dinners and stuff, nice break from the drinking or Rio.
I have also had my first Brazilian waxing experience, I was slightly concerned that she didn't understand me and I didn't understand a word she was saying either but we managed to get along with pointing and nodding, in fact I think she was rather pleased with me as when she looked at her target she beamed a huge smile and gave me the thumbs up sign, but there is only so much I am will to risk when using the nodding and smiling technique and my party zone isn't included, sorry girls dispite your requests you´ll have to find out for yourselves.
Next stop - Bueonos Aires where its cold but with a population of 13m and a reputation for great night life I´m hoping it will be worth the 48 hours I am about to spend on the bus getting there.
chau!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well when you have done your bus journey, you'll have to do a comparison to London transport.sorry to hear you have no play mates. It has been raining here for the last couple of days, loads of England has been flooded!! GREAT BRITISH WEATHER.. so I was glad to hear you are going somewhere cold,haha. Will you poping into Argentina?

some sayings for you.. Socorro, al ladron! (help Thief!) Dejame en paz! (leave me alone!)Pare! (stop)
Keep safe
love Denise & Co xxx

Stacie said...

the poor girl is preggers and her brain isnt working, she of course knows BA is in Argentina.
And hay cheers den, keep em coming..