Sunday 1 July 2007

Steak, wine and Tango...

That's it, Argentina in a nut shell and not necessarily in that order.
At the end of my week long stay in the Argentinian capital and its been a whole lot of fun.
Stayed in a really good hostel, thumb print entrance (never going back to keys, nothing to loose to lock you out) and it has a #### Theater next door which made for interesting noises to humm to while in the shower... think I´ve also learnt some interesting phrases in Spanish too.
BA is a huge city which is one of the most beautiful ones I´ve seen, buildings are stunning and there is loads of trees, sculptures and fountains everywhere. There seems to be a large number of homeless people which are sleeping literally slap bang in the middle of the street, they arent the nasty begging type either, you get paid to recycle here so when the business put out their bins at night they are raided for anything that can be sold.
I´ve been out and about during the days doing the tourist stuff, lots of museums, Evita one too, I can understand why the ego that is Madonna wanted to play this lady, oh and I´ve been getting lost... lots!
At one point an extremely nice local guy walked with me ten blocks out of his way to make sure I got the right bus, nice guy, he was in tax, but was quick to point out that he fights the IRS for the good guys, my hero!
Where´s my satnav guy when I need him huh?!
Made it to the Cementerio Pelo Recoleta - yep its a cemetery that has been turned into a tourist attraction with tours and everything (very much keeping up with the Jones, my tombs bigger than yours kinda thing), was really creepy, you could see some of the coffins and there were loads of stray cats just sitting there on the tombs starring at you.
My Spanish is not improving much, when I do attempt anything but hello, thank you etc. I get sniggered at, seems you can take the girl out of Dagenham but the Dagenhamese accent is still there. Remember what it was like trying to get rid of it in French Class Kel?!
Dirt cheap here, buses are about 10p, cigs 80p and 1litre bottles of beer less than a quid.
And Mark you do not even want to know about petrol prices.
They do however have a smoking ban already in the city, so I feel your pain guys, but just not your incentive to quit as they are so cheap!
Its even more hard core than Brazil for the night life, dinner at about 10pm, bar after (they don't open any earlier) but if you want clubs no one goes out till 2am and your sweet behind is crawling to bed when the respectable types are going to work, I have only managed that a few times as I cant keep up with the youngens.
I´ve also had a Tango lesson - for those of you that where in Adana for Mrs. K´s nuptials... well you know the skills this girls got on the dance floor - My poor partner had mastered his moves, then mine in an attempt to show me what I´m supposed to be doing, we then all had dinner (Steak, wine and Tango in one night, I´m practically a local now) and watched the professions strut their stuff, not a patch on me naturally ;)
I am also not to worse dancer in the world, two Aussie fellas I met at the Tango actually got given a free drink by the bar staff later during the evening as their moves where the worst ever seen, I did not get one even tho I was dancing with them, so in short I have new lows to aim for.
Its about 10 deg. C in this part of the world, so if I´m going be cold for much longer there had dam well better be snow for me to play with - Next stop Bariloche.
TTFN

No comments: