Sunday 15 July 2007

The little skinny one on the left.

That was Jims very apt way of explaining to me where Chile was when I got my Itinerary through and realised that I had to flight out of Santiago and didnt actually know where Chile was. I now not only know where it is on a map I have a very pretty stamp in my passport to prove that I actually managed to find its physical being to :)
So after all the trouble trying to get across the boarder I made it with 4 days to spare, I say 'spare' two days where spent on hold on the phone and visiting airline offices tying to get my backpack, it finally arrived, 3 days after I did.
So what did I get up to while there (other than smoke many cigarettes and curse airlines)?
Not a lot, time was short and weather was sh*te, I sampled Chile's tipple of choice, pisco, which is the most vile spirit around, think of the stuff that lurks at the back of a drinks cabinet and only gets brought out in very desperate times or when someone has lost a bet and its probably this stuff. Also some sort of national food which is like a thick stew and was made with fish, also wasted on my taste buds but hay at least I tried it.
Walked around town seeing the normal tourist stuff, if you are ever in the town, check out the pre Colombian museum, cool stuff and stories from the natives including 8 foot high very scary looking stone men.
Saw the city from high, and the layer of pollution that gets trapped due to the mountains, kind of takes something away from the mountainous back drop.
And on my final night in town I checked into a hotel, which had a private bathroom, TV and ohh such a nice double bed and ordered room service! After 6 weeks in dorm rooms and bunk beds it was heaven and I never wanted to leave.
But alas I had to, as the next day I was in yet another airport for my flight to New Zealand, which was made very comfortable by the nice bar staff in the 'American dinner' who wore little school girl outfits and actually had Jack Daniels , my 1st JD and Coke of SA was serviced as follows, can of coke with glass, glass of ice and then glass of JD, I am surprised I could walk to the aircraft. Am now enjoying the sweet sounds of my mother tongue full throttle again, including those lovely words that begin with F, S, and C.... God bless NZ!
Laters

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

canny believe your in NZ already it has gone so quick. well have fun down under... say hi to all the sheep. If you go there take pics from the sky tower, would love to see the sights from such a great hight..
keep safe

Denise & Co XxXxXxXxX

Stacie said...

You and me both, I've already turned down a once in a life time thing to vist 'sheepland', my loss I'm sure....
Done and done, although after the pics I got from 520m hand gliding it was a let down to stare out of window.
And Den you suffer from verigo so dont think you'd like it that much!!!
Keep well